Friday, June 08, 2007

Everything that Falls off a Hamburger

I taught a cooking class/team building event the other night for a group from Edward Jones with a focus on summer fixings, or as I fondly refer to them "everything that falls off a hamburger". The class was a hands-on exercise where we made a variety of homemade pickles, creative mustards, relishes and even my take on 'real' tomato ketchup, and then paired them with the appropriate main course (ie. sausages, burgers, steak, fish). I explained to the class that the subject matter was very near and dear to me not just because of the time in film school when I virtually lived off of condiments (who doesn't in college?), but rather that even today my favorite part of a good hamburger or sausage usually turns out to be the tangy, salty and sweet stuff that goes on top. So in the spirit of the "condiment season" here's a recipe for coriander-orange mustard. A super simple recipe, it's great with any type of burger or sausage, and is a great glaze for grilled salmon. Enjoy!

Coriander-Orange Mustard
Makes 1 Cup of Mustard

Coriander Seeds 1 Teaspoon
Dried Orange Rind ½ Teaspoon

Dijon Mustard, Smooth 1 Cup
Honey ½ Cup

Preparation Procedure-
Using a mortar and pestle or clean spice/coffee grinder grind coriander seeds and orange rind until powder. Mix with Dijon and honey. Refrigerate.