Thursday, April 03, 2008

Olives Vertes Avec Kirk

As is usually the case when I find myself in Chicago, I managed to fit in time for a quick snack at one of my favorite restaurants in the Windy City: avec. A tiny, Mediterranean small-plates inspired restaurant off Randolph (owned by the same fellas who own the seminal 'Blackbird'), avec is the type of restaurant I love: creative but not outlandish with a format that allows you to try a lot of different foods and wines. It's easy to craft a diverse meal out of 6 to 10 different small things and try a few obscure, yet affordable, French, Italian, Spanish or Portugese wines. As I look forward to a couple trips to Europe over the next few months, nothing gets my palate in the mood better than this place. Here's my recipe for delicious marinated green olives, similar to the delicious olives I always get at avec, just remember to serve them at room-temperature, or even a little warm.

Marinated Green Olives

Makes 4 Cups

4 Cups Green Olives (Manzanilla, Lucques or Picholine) cracked with a knife
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Strips Lemon Peel, with Pith Removed
3 Cloves Garlic, Smashed
1 Bay Leaf
1 Fresh Thyme Sprig

Preparation Procedure-

Make sure the olives are cracked so that the marinade permeates to the core. Combine and marinate for several hours at room temperature. Keep refrigerated but always allow to come to room temperature before serving.